Sunday, August 7, 2016

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!! 2016-2017

I absolutely cannot believe it is already the beginning of the second week of school. I have no idea where last week went.  We had an amazing start to what is going to be an amazing year of learning and exploring at FLE. I am so proud of what the students were able to accomplish last week.
I am continuing pre-assessments this week in order to determine instructional levels in the classroom. I teach in what feels like a one room schoolhouse and it does make for some crazy instructional planning. This year fortunately I only have one kinder, and only three on alternate assessments, so that will help.
Things that I changed in my classroom for the better have shown to be helpful the first week. I have returned to the tried and true with behavioral management and we had more time on task and less time with behaviors. I have returned to the traffic light system. I know many teachers hate this method, but I do not have my students move a clip. I keep up with on the clipboard so they are not seeing their name or picture on a color beside green. I am hoping this week that routine has developed enough to introduce the token economy on a full roll out to the students. Often students who are low such as many of mine they do not have the cognitive development to understanding working for three chips before receiving their reward. This has been a challenge for me. We will overcome and get it together.
Academically, I am also trying a few new things such as a weekly progress report on academics and skills (without grades), just a quick note to let parents know how their students are doing. I am also sending home weekly skill sheets for their parents to work on skills specific to the child. This is not graded either rather it is designed to help the students learn.

I will post updates later this week on new changes and how they are working in the classroom.
Happy Teaching and Learning !!!!!!!!
Ms. Grady

No comments:

Post a Comment